Friday 6 January 2012

The unnaturalness of Death

Why do we grieve? There is some part of us, some part that still remembers what life was like before death... How life was formed back in the garden, and the perfectness of that first relationship.

Death is not natural, even Jesus wept at the grave of his friend.

Even though I am not yet grieving, and even though I know the pain that will come, I cannot help but wonder at a God who shared with us his pain at the loss of what was perfect.

The process of mourning & grieving is not one I shall look forward to, but I rejoice that my God has gone there before me, and will go with me through it. When I compare the pain of death to the beauty of the cross, it seems in some way that grief is a reminder of what is to come: full and complete restoration to a perfect relationship with my saviour.

I do not want to belittle loss, or hope that I will be able to ignore the pain, but I want to know I am not alone in this, and that life is not without purpose - he holds us in the palms of his hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment