Friday 10 February 2012

Courage, Dear Heart.

One of my favourite bits in Narnia is during the voyage of the Dawn Treador. The ship & crew have just sailed into darkness, and cannot seem to break out. Lucy cries out to Aslan and nothing seems to happen. Then, an albatross appears, swooping around the ship before sailing ahead of it to lead it out of the darkness. But what no one else hears is that as the albatross circles the ship it whispers to Lucy: "Courage, dear heart, courage.".

When I'm in my darkest place, and it feels like the is no way out, 'courage dear heart' is what I long to hear. To know someone beside me coaxing me on, pushing me forward, leading me out.

So often I can't hear this, this week has felt so quiet, so confusing. It takes all my strength & energy to remember who's yoke is light, who's burden is easy to bear, the one who whispers encouragement and lifts me up out of the mud & mire.

I still long for that whisper. I still search for his encouragement. Where can I find it? There is no albatross above me. But I find it in his heart: The joy of the Lord is my strength and this joy is Jesus, his salvation that saves.

Courage, dear heart...

No comments:

Post a Comment